The founder and originator of the club was A.B.Davy, the first Club Captain and President. Mr Davy arranged for a survey to be carried out and together with Dr. R.W.Mason, Mr O.H.Brown and Mr. J.N. Gedye planned the course as a testing alternative to the proposed flat course at Meathop Road, Grange Over Sands. This preserved the ruggedness and challenging nature similiar to the former Grange Golf Club which was situated on the hills above Cartmel below Wart Barrow Lane.
The Silverdale and former Grange professional Fred Robinson was approached and he was engaged to construct and lay out the course, work commenced in late 1950. Greens and tees were built up but by utilising the natural hazards of the slopes of the fell this provided a taxing and testing nine hole course.
As is the custom with many courses, each hole was named, with good reason and clear explanation behind each.
Hole 1. – Beggars Breeches – The 4 fields across the lane behind the first green were purchased from Money ( 185.5 Guineas) found in the breeches pocket of a traveller who died in the Poor House in Cartmel in 1799 having been found lying in the road on Bigland. a charity was set up and the money is distributed to the people of Cartmel and Back Barrow.
Hole 2. – Fell End – Simply the end of the fell.
Hole 3. – Priory Loop – A view as seen by the Captain Len Swinbank as he approached the 3rd green.
Hole 4. – High Fell – A.B. Davy’s residence when he developed the course.
Hole 5. – A.B. Davy – The Founder of Grange Fell Golf Club.
Hole 6. – Kestrel way – A kestrel was often seen hovering over the 6th fairway.
Hole 7 – Lakeland View – The view of Coniston and Helvellyn.
Hole 8. – Fell bent – Round the corner, the dog-leg left along the fell wall.
Hole 9. – Bay View – The view across Morcambe bay
The Club soon developed a Ladies Section and this continues to thrive alongside the Mens Section with many competitions open to both groups.
Thanks to careful financial management, the Clubhouse was rebuilt and furnished in 1999 to provide a modern facility with bar, catering and social amenities. A new suspended ceiling has been added in 2011 making the room cosier, warmer and attractive for private functions.
To book the Clubhouse for your function please contact the Secretary.